Friday, June 02, 2006

Photos: Waterwebs

This coming Sunday I'll be participating in the Becel Heart & Stroke Foundation Ride for Heart (feel free to sponsor me if you like -- all money goes to the Heart & Stroke foundation). I'll be doing the 50km route.

Last Sunday, as a warm-up, I attempted a 73km tour of Scarborough -- up the Don Valley to Lawrence, through parks and hydro corridors to Highland Creek, along the Creek to the lakesore, and then back on Kingston Road.

Highland Creek FootbridgeUnfortunately, I ran out of energy at around 60km -- I had skimped on breakfast and ended up paying for it at Kingston & Markham Rd.

Still, it was a good run, and I did get a chance to take some fun photographs at the mouth of Highland Creek. As you can see from the photo at left, the trail I was following crosses a footbridge that runs under a rail bridge. When I got there, there was a heavy fog coming off the lake.

The footbridge rails were covered with spiderwebs, dozens of them, and each one was catching water from the fog. Droplets would condense around the web strands, growing until they were too heavy and dropped off.

I'd grabbed the small camera as a last minute, "just in case I see something interesting" thing, and I'm glad I did.


Spider Web Spider Web
Spider Web

No comments: