Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Photography: Visitor

I just got another great bike run in (a 62km tour of Etobicoke), but I'm not going to bother putting a map of that together (at least, not just yet). Instead, here are some photos of a visitor to our front yard.

Monarch Butterfly

Monarch butterflies pass through southern Ontario every year. Point Pelee, the southernmost tip of mainland Ontario (only Pelee Island is further south in Canada) is famous for the migrating Monarchs, who cross Lake Erie from Sandusky, to Pelee Island, then to Point Pelee and on up.

Monarch Butterfly

This one got quite comfy in our front yard, hanging out on the cedars and letting me get quite close with the camera.

Monarch Butterfly

It even took some time to pose for me, showing off its famous bright orange wings.

Monarch Butterfly

There are Monarchs all over Toronto these days. I saw a dozen of them on the lakeshore leg of my bike run. Too bad they're so hard to photograph on the wing.

No comments: